Sidmouth U8's turn out in force

On Sunday the Sidmouth U8s put out 3 boys and 1 girl team for their first game of the season:

A bit bleary eyed to start with, the girls team came alive in the second half of their first match.  Having been 5-2 down going into half time, the more experienced girls, Ellie Monro Higgs and Daisy Grove, rallied the team and lead by example with some great dogged tackling bringing them 2 turn over balls.  Quick to capitalise on these they ran them home to win the second half and the match 6-5.  This set the tone for their next 2 matches, maintaining this performance despite the warm Sunday morning sun.  However a special mention must go to Lacie Jackson and Immy Bagwell who had scintillating matchs on a their U8 debuts, persistently challenging Withycomb’s defence with their direct running and sparkling support play.

Sidmouth 5 v Withycombe 3

Sidmouth playing with red bibs and aptly nick-named 'Burgers with Ketchup' opened the season up with a good win.  A solid defensive line led by debut Captain Jack(!) Pugh allowed Lucca Arver, Gyll Grey, Scott Monro Higgs and Toby Sanford to score tries. Gil Grey taking route one, Scott Monro Higgs using the width of the pitch with great pace, Lucca Arver and Toby Sanford taking short passes provided by great support from Charlie Turley to crash over. Toby Sanford had opportunist of the day try with a cheeky interception try that was well supported by the rest if the team.

Withycombe played with great spirit with a hat-trick if tries from good supporting runs by all the team. Let's not forget Warren the ref who allowed the game to flow, was patient with the 12 on pitch refs and didn't ref to the TMO once.

Sidmouth 7 - 4 Withycombe.

Some great attacking play from this team of six.  Some good steps off both feet from Tom Bird to evade opposition defence to score a great try.  Archie Rowcliffe showed good awareness to take the ball from depth and test the Withycombe midfield whilst Matthew Thomas showed good pace to take a well worked brace of tries with support from his team mates.  A mention for Withycombe who were still in the match until the last few minutes at which point Sidmouth scored 2 late tries.  Played in great spirit where all were clearly enjoying what is likely to be the last of the warm weather!

Sidmouth 4 - 4 Withycombe 

Tomas Grove started out really well, ghosting in 3 tries in the first 2 minutes of the game. Harry Wod followed this up with a good try in the corner. Unfortunately, concentration disapeared after this, Withycombe started to tag really well and then, after the break, ran in 4 tries of their own. Proper game of two halves.

Thanks to the Withycombe coaches for great games played in the best of spirits and enjoyed by all the boys and girls.


David Monro Higgs