U16's desperate for a win to finish


Sidmouth u16s 50  - Nailsea & Backwell 10

Being the last game of the season, Sidmouth was desperate for a win to finish on a high. Due to injuries we were short of players  but we were lucky to have 3 of the Junior Colts prepared to help us in what was looking like a tough fixture. We were up against Nailsea & Backwell a touring side from the tough Bristol league. Unfortunately, they turned up with injuries too, so we had to lend them two players.

Sidmouth started brightly, and after a siege on their try line, we were rewarded with a tapped penalty charged in by Kyle Baker. This try was to be the first of many, and after a crash ball in the centre of the pitch, the forwards rucked successfully allowing quick ball out to Dan Powell who palmed off his opposite number, (who happened to be Louie Headon)  and touched down under the posts converted by Harrison Astley-Jones. A crash ball from Ed Thomas shattered their defence, as he ran through 4 tackles and touched down. The next 3 tries came from Junior Colt, George Stoner, who showed his pace and footwork to run the ball in. At half time Sidmouth were 38-0 up, and after a reshuffle, the second half began.

Unfortunately due to complacency and the night before catching up, N & B scored twice before we could offer any reaction.  A reaction did come though, with Harry West scoring in the corner, and the game was finished off with a surge by Sam Smith in the 22, scoring under the posts. An interesting decision from the referee meant we didn't end up runaway winners of the second half, as a grubber through to James Thomas who was pacing it up the wing, was deemed to be knocked on. However, this did not make a difference, as Sidmouth won by 50-10,  a well fought victory at the end of a great season and highlights the potential for the coming years. Thanks to the team for a great result and to Xenon Kearns, George Stoner and Louis Headon for coming down and playing.

Rugby Match Report by Tom Stokes