New Year’s Success for Sidmouth u 16s

Sidmouth 26:22 Crediton                   4.1.15

A good start to 2015 with the first match away to Crediton. The sloping pitch gave Crediton the advantage in the first half. A Crediton turnover followed a Sidmouth line-out but good defence prevented an early tryDavies soon had the measure of the Crediton scrum half and tackled quickly, stopping the ball getting away cleanly from their scrums. However, a penalty advantage to Crediton and a strong drive forwards allowed their no. 13 to score. From the restart Sidmouth countered with good ground being made by Barnett and safe hands giving captain Allen the first Sidmouth try,which he then converted. Crediton responded forcing the game back downhill. Two line-outs near the try line tested the Sidmouth defence but they prevailed and kicked the ball back up the pitch. Crediton regained possession after a further line-out and scored again, but still no conversion. Heads upSidmouth came back quickly and forced play back uphill. Cornish scored in the corner. At half time it was 12:10 to Sidmouth.

Sidmouth now had the downhill advantage and pushed forward from the kick off putting pressure on the Crediton defence. Cornish broke through to score in the corner again and Allen impressed spectators by a confident conversion from the touch lineSidmouth lost the (now very slippery) ball in a tackle but held up the ensuing Crediton try attempt. Crediton were not to be denied and continued assertive play won them a further try but still no conversion. 19:15. Skilful hooking was demonstrated in the scrum by Davies but Crediton secured a turnover ball and a further try which they converted 22:19. Undeterred at losing their advantageSidmouth powered back into the Crediton half and a penalty advantage and solidpasses gave Hill the opportunity to score between the posts. A straightforward conversion by Allen and Sidmouth again had the lead, 26:22. Crediton fought back and a good breakthrough run saw their player heading for the try line but Dix, who had been tackling well all game, brought him down. Crediton were determined to score again and continued to make ground until a try seemed imminent but scrum half Davies slid forward and the ball was held up. Sidmouth regrouped to protecttheir lead and a few more minutes of defensive play ensued before time was called 26:22.

The result was uncertain until the final whistle as both teams were well matched and played with commitmentThere were some strong Crediton players and so all the more credit to Sidmouth for this close and exciting victory.    

Daryl Pearce