Sidmouth 3rd XV v New Cross 2nds

Sidmouth 3rd XV 13, New Cross 2nds 25

Sidmouth 3rd XV had the honour of playing at the Blackmore last Saturday but came up short against a well drilled New Cross side who took their opportunities whereas Sidmouth did not, writes Will Holland.

Sidmouth, being the generous bunch, lent New Cross two players as they only came with 13 of their own. The first 10 minutes of the game was very even, with both teams probing the other for weaknesses. Sidmouth went close a couple of times but the ball was dropped on both occasions once it was spread wide.

New Cross scored first against the run of play, stretching the home side’s defence before finding an overlap and scoring in the corner. Sidmouth replied with Adam Howe making one of his trademark bursting runs from deep to touch down. Adam Squance added a penalty before James Ford was carried off injured with a suspected broken collar bone when Sidmouth had a lot of pressure before deciding to run a penalty where Ford was battered. Sidmouth probably should have scored again when Neil Barratt broke through but did not have support and he was stopped just short. New Cross replied with a penalty just before the interval to leave the half time score 8-8.

The second half started with New Cross playing with 14 men for an infringement just before half time and Sidmouth took advantage with a great scrum by the forwards. Full back Mark Bishop was able to profit and touch down to give Sidmouth the lead. Unfortunately, this was as good as it got for the home side as, when New Cross went back to 15 players, they took the game to Sidmouth who failed to mark up out wide and all too often over committed at the rucks and mauls. Overlaps out wide saw New Cross score far too easily. Chances for Sidmouth were too easily butchered with passing and ball handling being of a poor quality. In the end New Cross ran in three tries in the second half and were comfortable winners.

Thanks to Kevin Luke and John Galling who played for the opposition and a big welcome back for Captain Hakim Bakrim. Best wishes to James Ford for a speedy recovery.

Sidmouth 3rds v Exmouth 3rds

Tough Tacking limits Exmouth

A tough tackling display by Sidmouth 3rds limited Exmouth to just 3 tries last Saturday which is a massive improvement on the 84-3 drubbing from earlier in the season.  Exmouth threatened from the off and with their much bigger pack, moved Sidmouth around with ease, although they had to wait a while for the first score as Sidmouth tackled everything that came at them.  With Sidmouth having to start with an all new look second row, thanks to Scott Savage and Ben Salter for filling the void, Lineouts were always going to be a problem although Sidmouth managed to front up well in the scrums.  Starved off possession for long periods of the first half Sidmouth did well to only go in at break 10-3 down thanks to a penalty from that man Squance and also down to some great last ditch tackles with Alex Hill’s being the pick of a good bunch. 

Sidmouth did improve after the break and secured a lot more ball, although a lot of that was poorly kicked away when the windy conditions should have meant that the ball was kept in the tight.  Dan Coulson was back for the thirds and his awesome hitting ability meant Exmouth would try elsewhere to break through Sidmouth’s defence.  Sidmouth went closest in the second half with Bishop and Howe the main threats but the ball was either not passed out to the wide areas or kicked away which was infuriating for Captain/Manager Will Holland I can tell you!  Exmouth ran in one further score in the second half. although Sidmouth did finish the game strongly but could not convert the pressure into points.

Sidmouth 3rds 3 – 15 Exmouth 3rds

A big thanks to everyone who played with several having to play in unfamiliar roles.  Next week we host Wessex 2nd team at Sidford, kick-off 2.30pm.  Anyone wishing to play should contact Will Holland on 07896840084.

Sidmouth 3rds 0 - Topsham 2nds 13

A battling and brave display by Sidmouth 3rds saw them just come up short against a strong Topsham side writes Will Holland

The first half saw a great rolling maul go on for at least 25 metres to help Sidmouth make progress into the Topsham half, where poor decision making and handling errors cost them their just reward.

A great cover tackle by Mark Oke denied Topsham late in the first half but Topsham did eventually cross the whitewash to score a try and also add a penalty to leave it 8-0 to the home side at half time.

The second half continued in much the same vein as Sidmouth were starved of possession by the bigger Topsham pack and, but for great defence, the home side should have added more points. Adam Howe was the main threat for the visitors with plenty of barracking runs but support was often lacking and turnovers resulted in Sidmouth giving the ball up on far too many occasions. In the end, the pressure told, and Topsham added a second try to make it 13-0 final score.

Special mention to Luke Knight who made a rare appearance for the third team where his experience and leadership were invaluable and to Bryn Thomas who was a constant menace at the breakdown area. I would also like to thank the team as a whole for a committed and valiant effort. Pats on the back also to Simon Emmerson and Kevin Luke who came in at the last minute to bolster the squad.

Sidmouth 3rd team 58-5 Paignton 3rds

Sidmouth 3rds finally got their first win of the season and what a win it was!  Sidmouth scored an amazing 9 tries against an unfortunate Paignton side who caught Sidmouth at their best.  Sidmouth could have had more tries if not for a couple of knock ons in crucial positions.  Sidmouth had a nice large squad of 21 players with everyone getting a least 15 mins of game time.  The home side were helped in no small way by the addition of Exeter Chief Peter Short who was looking for a game after missing the deadline for European registration.  He acted as a focal point for Sidmouth and pitched in with 2 tries, but it was the way he brought the rest of team into the game that was the real bonus for Sidmouth.  Right form the start Sidmouth took it straight to Paington with Chris Legg for once with ball in hand setting up a ruck where Short was able to break away and race over the first score. 

Before Paignton realised what they were up against they were trailing 21-0 with Sidmouth showing no mercy as they sensed a first victory was on the cards.  Sidmouth then relaxed and let Paington in, conceding a try in the corner although they hit back straight away replying with a penalty slotted by  the ever reliable Adam Squance.  The points continued to flow throughout the game with Adam Howe proving to be the games stand out back and player with loads of hard running and hard tacking, although those outside him may wish he would spread the ball a little more!  Howe would end up scoring a hatrick of tries making him popular in the club after the game after having to buy the trademark jug of beer!

In the second half Sidmouth decided to give the forwards more to do with Neil Barratt prominent in his role of linking with the backs and going over for a try himself.  Bryn Thomas also got on the score sheet after a lovely rolling maul.  Big thanks to all who played and came on as a sub because you all played very well and can feel very proud of the win.  Tries scorers for the day were Howe with 3 tries, Short with 2 tries and Barratt, Thomas, Hargreaves and Reed with one a piece.    Squance converted 5 kicks to add to his penalty.  Next week we make the short trip to Exmouth so lets keep it up and give them a good game!