SIDMOUTH 2nd XV  34  v  CREDITON 2nd XV  20


In an entertaining game played in difficult conditions, the Quins gained a notable victory against opposition from the higher Merit Table demonstrating that they are worthy of promotion should they earn it at the end of the season.


The opening salvoes did not bode well as Crediton went on the attack straight from the kick off. Pressure inside the Sidmouth 22 earned them a scrum near the line and they shoved the Sidmouth eight back unceremoniously for a pushover try scored by the number eight. The try was unconverted.


The Quins went on the attack from the restart and were eventually rewarded with the try of the match. A handling move started on halfway took play up the left wing and, when it broke down inside the 22, the ball was move smoothly along the line to an overlap on the right. Ollie Perez dived over in the corner to round things off with an unconverted try.


The Quins continued to control the game with the forwards putting the early setback behind them to control the set pieces with a solid scrum and Dan Ledger dominating the lineouts. They added two more tries from lineout catch-and-drive plays, both finished off by skipper Neil Barratt, with one conversion by Jake Watts.


Crediton came back in the closing stages of the half and deservedly closed the gap with a penalty kicked by the fly half. The Quins led 17-8 at half time.


Despite making several changes to give all the squad a game, the Quins were well on top in the third quarter as they extended their lead with two more tries. A tap penalty move produced a try as the forwards drove over from close range for Jake Watts to add the conversion.


George Jarman capped an outstanding performance by driving over for the fourth try after another lineout maul had set up the position.  


When Ben Salter was yellow carded for a high tackle in the middle of the half, Crediton staged a comeback. From the resulting penalty, they took a quick tap to set up a forward drive to the line and over. The fly half kicked the conversion.


When the number eight scored from the base of a five-metre scrum, the deficit was reduced to just nine points with ten minutes to play. However, it was Crediton’s turn to lose a player to the sin bin for a similar offence.


The Quins capitalised on their advantage with a try in the dying minutes as Ollie Perez broke on the blindside of a ruck inside the 22 to send Ben Salter over in the right corner to complete the scoring.






BIDEFORD 2nds  0  v  SIDMOUTH 2nds  40

Sidmouth made the long journey north to Bideford looking to extend their lead at the top of the MeritTable.

A number of injuries and unavailability meant travelling with a depleted squad of only sixteen;
fortunately, this wasnʼt a factor in the end, as Sidmouth ran out comfortable winners.

The visitors began brightly and soon took the lead with an unconverted try courtesy of Chris Higgs.
The left wing touched down out wide following a powerful scrum by the Sidmouth forwards and
good handing by the backs. Straight from the restart Sidmouth were looking to attack again, and
attack they did. A second try (converted by Jake Watts) saw Sidmouth open up a twelve-point lead
in nearly as many minutes; after three quick phases, second row Jason Stephens burst through a
gap and sprinted in from just inside the Bideford half.

Bideford finally woke from their slumber to have a decent five minutes of pressure but couldnʼt
break down the resolute Sidmouth defence. Minutes later Sidmouth showed their hosts how to turnterritory and possession into points.

After a few phases deep in the Bideford twenty-two provided just enough space, fly-half Jake Watts bundled his way over the try line (with a little assistance from the post); Watts added the simple conversion.

Sidmouth were very nearly celebrating a third try moments later. Chris Higgs breached the Bideford
defensive line and sprinted clear; unfortunately, with only a few metres left to go the winger was
tackled by the cover defence, denying him his brace on his return to the team. The visitors didnʼt
have to wait long for their third try though. Sidmouth kept the pressure up and following another
steal against the head and a powerful scrum from the men in green, Number 8 Dan Ledger
controlled the ball well to score at the base; Jake Watts again converted. The try gave Sidmouth the bonus point and the victory was never in doubt from this moment on.

A short spell of play during which the scrums went uncontested - but Sidmouth sportingly allowed
Bideford to remain with fifteen players - came to an end with another Sidmouth try. Dan Rugg
playing in the unfamiliar role of outside centre, pounced on a Bideford error and capitalised fully,
sprinting in from twenty-five metres; Jake Watts again added the extra two points.

This was the final score of the opening forty minutes, but the remainder of the
half was still eventful for the wrong reason. The Bideford hooker was sent off for punching Carl Burrow, which necessitated a visit to hospital for the resulting wound to mbe stitched. The referee finished the half a few minutes early in order to let the tension die down.

The second half was a short affair, because after fifteen minutes or so the referee called time on
proceedings; as he was unable to continue through injury and a replacement official wasnʼt present.
Despite the short time available to them Sidmouth still managed to extend their lead with a
converted try. Adam Squance finished off the long spell of pressure scoring in the left corner.





The Quins bandwagon rolls on with this convincing win against Exeter Engineers, a team of students from Exeter University.


The Sidmouth forwards had the edge in the set pieces to provide a platform for the backs to show their paces on a firm pitch after the Quins kicked off with a wind at their backs.


The opening ten minutes were evenly contested before the Quins took the lead thanks to a penalty kicked by fly half Jake Watts.


The Sidmouth forwards showed their superiority with two tries from well controlled lineout catch-and-drive plays both touched down by Jason Stevens. The first had been driven with great control from 20 metres out, the second from closer range was converted by Jake Watts.


A good handling move by the backs set up Morgan Taverner for a run into the 22, where Johnny Hammill darted over on the blindside of a ruck. And, just before half time Hamill dummied his way over for a second try from the back of a driving maul. Both tries were converted for a lead of 27-0 at the break.


With the wind at their backs, the Engineers made a strong start to the second half to keep play inside the Sidmouth half for long periods. The Quins showed the same defensive organisation and determination as the Chiefs to keep their line intact until midway through the half, when the students scored a converted try from a quick tap penalty move.


The Quins struck back almost immediately, when Johnny Hamill completed his hattrick from the base of ruck near line after good approach work by the pack. The try was converted as was a pushover try from a five-metre scrum scored by Dan Ledger.


The Engineers produced a fine piece of rugby with backs and forwards combining in a move started on the half way line. The try was converted.


The Quins finished the game with a try of equal quality, when a good move by the backs stretched the defence and skipper Neil Barratt pick up from the base of a ruck to sprint over from 30 metres out.




Sidmouth 2nd XV 23 – Ilfracombe 1st XV 12

Sidmouth’s seconds continued their excellent start to the season with a hard-fought win over a strong and determined Ilfracombe side. With Sidmouth topping the table on a 6-game winning run and Ilfracombe lying second the visitors travelled with the clear intent of reversing the order. Sidmouth, however, fielded a strong squad well balanced between younger players in their first season of senior rugby and senior players with strong pedigrees. The home team started strongly forcing Ilfracombe to concede a penalty in their own half which was well taken by Jake Watts who continues his impressive run of form. As in previous matches the Sidmouth pack dominated the forwards battle in the scrum, lineout and mauls achieving the first try of the day through George Jarman’s touchdown at the end of a well-controlled forward drive. Ilfracombe seemed undaunted and through several of their larger, experienced forwards executed a long sequence of pick and go plays, although they made yards they were unable to breach the Sidmouth line. In a reversal of tactics, the home forwards made their presence felt with another rolling maul driving hard at the visitor’s line resulting in Carl Burrow grounding the ball and Jake Watts converting.

The half time score of 15 – 0 was a fair reflection of Sidmouth’s superiority in the first 40 minutes, which continued for the first minutes after the restart. An exceptional individual effort by Ollie Perez chasing down a through kick which was misjudged by the defending player allowing Ollie to gather and score in the corner. This score however appeared to galvanize Ilfracombe who imposed themselves onto the game using both forwards and backs in a series of well executed moves. Their determination resulted in two tries which together with several injuries and replacement players introduced by the home side made the final quarter a tense affair. The Sidmouth defense, which has played a significant part in this season’s successes, again held firm with some excellent work by the entire team. A second penalty converted by Jake Watts settled any nervousness within both the team and the crowd and inspired Sidmouth to resist the final assaults on their line. The referee’s whistle brought to an end a most entertaining contest which will be repeated in Ilfracombe on 1st December, it will be a long journey and a hard match but a day to look forward.





SIDMOUTH 2nd XV 15 v  EXMOUTH 3rd XV 3 

Exmouth kicked off and began brightly, showing their intent by opting for a kick to the corner hoping to catch Sidmouth cold. The Sidmouth defence held their ground and forced Exmouth backwards, a turnover at a breakdown allowed Sidmouth to clear up field. Sidmouth mounted their first attack in the opposition half but were thwarted by a good defensive shift by the visitors. The second Sidmouth attack minutes later proved more fruitful to the tune of three points from the right boot of Jake Watts. The lead lasted about ten minutes or so as Exmouth responded with a good spell of possession in Sidmouth’s territory ending with a penalty kick. 

The visitors had clearly done their homework and stifled Sidmouth of the ball for long spells; by playing mainly through their large forwards. Exmouth were posing questions for their hosts to answer; the Sidmouth answers came loud and clear and were mostly correct. The Sidmouth pack soaked up the pressure well and regularly forced Exmouth into errors, unfortunately those errors couldn’t always be capitalised on fully. The Sidmouth backline defended equally as physically as their forwards, but like the forwards couldn’t quite add the finishing touches when in possession. The middle period of the half was played out predominately in the mid third of the pitch, both sides were cancelling the other out. Whilst the game clearly wasn’t a points fest, like Sidmouth’s last home game, it was equally as enthralling but in a different way. 

The stalemate came to end when Sidmouth scored an unconverted try, a try possibly against the run of play, but a try that was a well-deserved as a reward for their defensive efforts. The score came from scrumhalf Luke Bess after a decent spell of possession deep in Exmouth’s half. The home side certainly had the better of the remainder of the first half and were unlucky on a couple of occasions from driving mauls. The pressure should have seen Sidmouth extend their lead with the last kick of the half; Jake Watts just misjudging his penalty shot at the posts. Hopefully that wouldn’t prove costly or make the home side lose their increasing self-belief. 

Any concerns of the penalty miss damaging the Sidmouth self-belief were quickly put to rest at the beginning of the second half. A wonderfully executed driving maul from the Exmouth 22 was heading towards the try line at a rapid rate, only to be pulled down in the process of the ball being grounded; the referee had seen enough to convince him to award a penalty try. The try will go down in the books as a penalty try, but if it were possible to do so should be awarded to the Sidmouth forwards as a unit; that was mauling at its finest from the men in green. As there is no need to add the conversion now following a penalty try the score was worth a straight seven points. The try turned out to be the final score of the game but that doesn’t mean the remainder of the match was dull; in fact, far from it. 

Exmouth recovered from the shock of conceding so early to come back into the game well. The visitors attacked with intent but were regularly sent back into their half by the aggressive Sidmouth defence. The home side very nearly extended their lead with an interception on half way, unfortunately the ball just evaded the grasp of the Sidmouth backs rush defence. The Sidmouth forwards meanwhile, were starting to get the upper hand in the scrums, having had parity up until that point, two balls against the head allowed Sidmouth to win possession and sensibly play in the Exmouth half of the field but were unable to add to their score.