Quins' enjoy a good day in the Bay!

Torquay RFC 2nd XV (17) v Sidmouth RFC 2nd XV (22)


The Quins' gained a second win in as many weeks over a Torbay side, this time it was the turn of Torquay.

The Quins' kicked off in what could only be described as ideal conditions for running rugby. The Quins' pack started well securing their own ball in the scrum and regularly disrupting or even stealing their opponents put in, this would continue throughout the entire 80 minutes. The Quins' missed an early penalty but didn't have to wait long for their opening score. The try came when flanker Sam Cummins tidied up a messy lineout 35 metres out and broke away to score in the corner, unfortunately the extras were not added.

The Quins' momentarily took their foot off the gas which allowed Torquay back into the game with a try of their own. However the Quins' were soon back in front Ben Salter adding the finishing touches to score under the posts; somehow the conversion was missed luckily this didn't prove vital although it must serve as a warning to concentrate and claim simple points when they are on offer.

Just like they had the earlier the Quins' relaxed a little allowing Torquay back into the match. The hosts took full advantage to score a converted try and take the lead. The Quins' soon regained the lead with a Ben Pratt penalty another possible penalty minutes later was declined when perhaps it should not have been. The home side did have the last say when on the stroke of  halftime they scored their third and final try. HT 17-13.

The second half began with Torquay having the ball in the attacking third but good defence by the Quins' kept the hosts at bay. The Quins' turned the tables on their hosts and two quick penalties via the boot of Pratt put the visitors in the lead. The Quins' forwards began to dominate in loose play as well as the set piece with a succession of good phases, unfortunately the backline were not quite up to par with their ball retention or handling but were always positive in they approach. 

Some of the Quins' defensive work in the second half especially at the break was quite superb. Ryan Davies and Damon Morris standing out with numerous turnovers; from one such breakdown the Quins' won a penalty which Pratt duly converted to open up a 5 point lead.

Late in the game Torquay had one of their second rows yellow carded after annoying the referee one to many times and were fortunate not to have another player  follow soon after for persistently being off side. The Quins' pushed for another score but could not take advantage of the situation. This lead to a  very tense last few minutes; the Quins' almost blew it when Torquay intercepted a miss pass but the Quins' cover defence was good.  The Quins' players and supporters were happy with the win but know they must improve.