SIDMOUTH 2nds  50  v  WITHYCOMBE 2nds  14


The Quins gained their second Merit Table victory in a match played in good conditions. The  forwards provided a solid platform and good possession for the speedier Sidmouth backs to build up a good score.


The Quins took an early lead, when good handling from a scrum on their own 22 gave space for Ben Pratt to break through on a 50 metre run and time his pass perfectly for Johnny Hamill to run in for a try converted by Adam Squance.


Play was evenly contested until midway through the half, when the Withycombe were penalised and Will Dunford kicked to the corner. A maul was set up from the resulting lineout. When the ball emerged Josh Ledger broke on the blindside and his inside pass allowed Ollie Shaw to dive over for an unconverted try.


A few minutes later, James Salter finished off a move in which Ben Pratt and Mark Oke had combined in a move covering 50 metres. Adam Squance added the extra points.


A long spell of pressure by Withycombe was eventually rewarded, when the number eight burst over from close range for a converted try.


The Quins were reduced to 14 men, when Dan Ledger was yellow carded for a high tackle. Despite the disadvantage, Ben Pratt scored on the end of a good handling move following a lineout inside the visitors 22 to make the halftime score 24-7.


Ten minutes into the second half Tom Robbins finished off a good handling move after a strong run by Matt Ewings had opened up the defence.


The lead was increased when a long pass from Will Dunford found Adam Squance in space on the left wing. Squance kicked the conversion from wide out.


Skipper Neil Barratt was next on the score sheet, when he peeled off a maul to sprint in under the post giving Adam Squance and easy conversion.


The try of the match followed, when Johnny Hamill broke out of his own 22 up the left wing and found Tom Robbins in support to take play into the opposing 22. The ball was quickly recycled and quick handling gave Adam Squance the room to finish off in the right corner before adding the conversion.


Withycombe showed good spirit to finish strongly and deserved the penalty try they were awarded for a high tackle in injury time.