Under 13s make Devon Final

Devon Cup Semi Final
Sidmouth U13’s 27 Barnstaple 5

Sidmouth’s ground staff (Henri and a bucket) pulled out all the stops to play this crucial, previously delayed, cup semi final against Barnstaple, this Sunday. Sidmouth, having lost earlier in the season to Barum, were determined to set the record book straight. Barnstaple, a well coached side with talented backs, arrived early and looked extremely confident in their new kit. Conditions were perfect, apart from underfoot, which could only be described as squishy! Sidmouth kicked off in front of a large local crowd, and were worryingly sluggish, until Prop Johnny Youngman seized his moment. A fantastic interception at the front of a line out, with a strong drive, saw Sidmouth advance rapidly into the opposition 22. Quick hands in the backs, then allowed left wing, Alex Dunn to leave his winger for dead to score in the corner. Sidmouth’s forwards soon relaxed into their roles and started to work their drills. Suddenly, Sidmouth’s backs, at full strength for the first time this year, began to see a lot of the ball. This gave Sidmouth’s right winger, Oli Tollerfield the opportunity to also show his considerable speed, to round his wing to double the score. Sidmouth now had total dominance in the forwards and superior speed in all departments in the backs. Inevitably, Alex Dunn added another try just before half time. Sidmouth historically restart sluggishly, and annoyingly conceded a sloppy try, giving Barnstaple a glimmer of hope, but that was all it was. Once Sidmouth started to concentrate, Barnstaple never looked like scoring. Highlight of the second half, was a wonderful run out of his 22 by centre Olly Blyth, outpacing the Barnstaple speed merchants, and deftly popping the ball up to Oli Tollerfield to go in flamboyantly under the posts. Alex Dunn capped an awesome display of sprint running by getting his hat trick near the end. The ease of Sidmouth’s win would not have been possible without the superb display by Sidmouth’s forwards, who ran themselves into the ground. Second row Gavin Pearson was immaculate in the line out and frightening in the loose. Flanker Bryn Henrickson had his best game of the season, he literally covered every blade of grass and was a nuisance all day. Connor Male had a terrific tussle with his opposing hooker, eventually taking three against the head. Fly Half Isaac Radford also kicked beautifully out of hand and added a conversion in tricky mud. Sidmouth now face the exciting prospect of playing Devonport Services in the final at Plymouth Albion’s ground on April the 13th. Charabanc’s to be arranged.