Sidmouth Colts produced their best performance of the season to beat Plymouth-based Stonehouse Sharks in the Devon Colts Plate league.


In a rare outing on the Blackmore Field, the Colts had too much pace once they got the ball into the open against a side whose strength was in their forwards.


The opening quarter was played at a frantic pace, with plenty of energy and commitment but little in the way of control or direction. Sidmouth had the better of the early exchanges and might have taken an early lead had they taken a penalty in front of the post rather than elect to tap and run.


Stonehouse became more prominent in the middle of the half and were unlucky to see a penalty attempt drift just wide of the posts.


The opening score was as spectacular as it was surprising in the context of what had gone before. Sidmouth won a lineout on halfway and the ball was moved into the open. Outside centre Ethan Mead took a pass at pace and cut a good angle through the defensive line. Once in the open, he outpaced the cover to touch down under the posts. Rhys Davies added the conversion.


Minutes later, Mead was in action at the other, where he brought off a try-saving tackle to end a dangerous move from the visitors. Stonehouse continued to press hard near the Sidmouth line until a turnover by the forwards was followed by a clearance kick into touch. The score remained 7-0 at halftime.


Sidmouth regained possession from the restart kick and progressed the ball through several phases before opening out along the backline. Quick, accurate passing found full back Tom Woodruff in space on the right. His step inside wrong-footed the cover and he ran in for an unconverted try.


Stonehouse came back strongly but did not have the pace to run  round the Sidmouth defence and determined tackling prevented them from battering through the middle. When Sidmouth broke out of defence, a good handling move by the backs stretched the defence for Morgan Taverner to sprint in from the halfway line. The try was converted by Rhys Davies.


A driving maul by the forwards following a lineout on the Stonehouse 22 paved the way for a fourth try. When the ball was released to the backs, swift handling put Tom Woodruff in for his second try.


Stonehouse showed good spirit to finish strongly and score a well deserved consolation try, when a forward drove over from close range after a series of rucks near the line.   


Colts Devon Plate winners 2016

On Sunday 24th April, the Colts travelled to Sandy Park, the home of Exeter Chiefs, to play Teignmouth in the Devon Colts Plate Final. Both teams qualifed initially through the area leagues and then the Devon Plate League.

Both teams produced top quality, entertaining rugby and the result was in doubt until the final ten minutes. Both teams had 22 man squads and, despite the importance of the result, it was refreshing to see all players given game time through the use of rolling subs throughout the game.

Sidmouth raced into an early 14-0 lead with two tries from Sam Cavin and Lucan Horsnell, both converted by Cavin.

Teignmouth dominated the closing stages of the half to reduce the lead with two tries of their own. On the stroke of halftime, Sam Cavin kicked a penalty to make the halftime score 17-10.

Sidmouth regained control after the restart and added a third try, when Will Thomas was driven over by his fellow forwards. Again Cavin converted.

Teignmouth came back with a third try and the game remained in the balance until the closing stages. A second Cavin penalty calmed Sidmouth nerves before a fine try in the final minutes by Jake Allen, converted by Cavin, put the result beyond doubt.





Kingsbridge colts Vs Sidmouth

Saturday 11th April 2015

Sidmouth Colts achieved their 9th win of the season out of 22 matches so far on a sunny though windy afternoon at the High House ground above Kingsbridge.

On a dry fast pitch Kingsbridge’s larger pack competed well for the ball and, in both open play and at scrum time, their well-drilled technique forced Sidmouth to transgress beyond what was acceptable to the referee, gaining Kingsbridge advantageous penalties and two yellow cards against Sidmouth.

The referee came under quite a barrage of advice from both touchlines and, after one lengthy period of questioning early on, was forced to ask some to shut up or come on to the pitch to discuss the matter; thankfully they chose the former.

Despite playing short handed during the sin bin periods, Sidmouth never allowed Kingsbridge to fully develop any advantage and, when penalties were kicked to touch, competed hard and successfully to force errors from their hosts, which combined with the consistent jumping from Malachi Rayner and Dan Swain, and Thomas’ throwing on their own line outs throughout the match provided a great platform for Sam Cavin and Aaron Bagwell to control which areas of the pitch were to be played in. Aaron’s length of passing and sniping around the fringes kept Kingsbridge’s defence tight, allowing Sam to move the ball into the midfield where both centres had many opportunities to run at their opposite numbers.

All in all it was a well played game with well taken tries, good place and kicking out of hand and thrilling last man try-saving tackles in the opening and closing minutes of the match, which respectively kept Sidmouth in the game and ensured they maintained the lead to the finish.

There now remains the possibility of a double win against Kingsbridge in the return match at home for the season’s finale on April 25th.

Kingsbridge 22 Sidmouth 26

By Richard Welch

Sidmouth Colts v Newton Abbot

Newton Abbot Edge Sidmouth Colts in Dying Seconds of Home Thriller

After being on the wrong side of the score board when travelling to Newton Abbott the previous Saturday, Sidmouth colts were determined to return the favour the following weekend on home soil. The game began in similar fashion to the week before, with the away team running in three converted trys in quick succession through some fast lines hit in the centres. However, leading up to the half time break Sidmouth shook themselves off and put themselves on the score board utilising some grinding work in the forwards, finished with some quick thinking by centre Harry Rumens crashing over the whitewash. Fly half Sam Cavin made no fault with the extra conversion points.


Sidmouth began the second half with a vengeance, demonstrated with relentless pressure by hooker Henry Thomas delivering some unforgiving tackles to a diminished Newton Abbott scrum half. After a solid ten minutes of well executed rugby with good leadership from captain Malachi Rayner-Philipson, the strong defence finally relented when the ball was passed wide to an overlap, allowing Aaron Bagwell to finish the job. Sidmouth often found themselves over the try line numerous times, with the ref denying a number of hard fought scores. However this eventually lead to a second try from Aaron Bagwell, darting between defenders, indisputably grounding the ball. Sam Cavin kept his cool and added the extras with a well placed conversion from the touch line, levelling the score board. From the restart in the dying minutes of the game an ambitious pass from Sidmouth found itself in Newton Abbott hands, who made no mistake, snatching the game just out of reach from Sidmouth once again, with a final score of 28-21 to Newton Abbott. Next week Sidmouth colts travel to Kingsbridge, hoping to round off an infuriating month with a good win in one of the few games left in the season.

Sidmouth Colts travel to Teignmouth

On an unseasonably warm sunny December day, Sidmouth Colts travelled West along the coast to play Teignmouth. The game started with Teignmouth showing off their size and putting in many good tackles. 5 Minutes in saw a great running team effort finished off with Kyle Baker scoring Sidmouth’s first Try. Unconverted 0-5. Home Side fought back and Jake Tansley made a try saving tackle by dumping his opposition into touch.

vs. Teignmouth 6th December 2014

The next 20 minutes resemble a game of tennis with the ball being run and kicked either way with no score. Good rucking by Lucan Horsnell helped the ball out to the backs which Angus Eaton finished nicely under the posts. Not converted 0-10. More swift running rugby saw Aiden Taylor bosh over on the wing to bring the scores to 0-15. Lewis Horne showed off his speed to score again in the corner. Unconverted, left the score 0-20 at half time.

vs. Teignmouth 6th December 2014 03

Sidmouth was now starting to brim with confidence, with the forwards dominating Angus was able to finish off again in the corner for his second try. 0-25 Next try saw Lewis Horne weaving in and out of the home side to allow Aaron Bagwell in for a try. 0-30. Sidmouth forwards dominated up front, including a bulldozing run by Kyle Baker flattening some opposition players. Jake Tansley was next on the score sheet with a strong running try. 0-35, Angus Eaton then earned his hat trick 0-40. Sam Dix tried his luck at 12, out of his normal position as prop and was rewarded with a powerful running try under the posts, which he confidently drop kicked the conversion. 0-47. Not to be left out Conner Woodhouse joined in to finish a great try under the post. Converted, it brought the final score to an impressive 0-54. Well done to both teams for a good spirited game.

vs. Teignmouth 6th December 2014 02