Spirited Chiefs gain bonus point at Truro

TRURO 1st XV  55pts  v  SIDMOUTH 1st XV  26pts 

The Chiefs travelled to Cornwall with eight changes from the team which defeated Torquay the previous week. Despite the disruptions, they contributed well to a game in which both sides played with ambition, showing very good handling skills and support play. However, both coaches will have been dusting off the defence manual before the next training sessions.

Despite conceding 14 points in the opening ten minutes, the Chiefs fought back well to be in contention as play entered first half injury time. Then three tries in the ten minutes either side of the break swung the game decisively in Truro’s favour.

The home side opened the scoring after three minutes, when the outside centre made the running for a try by his fellow centre. The number 13 added the conversion.

In the tenth minute the lead was extended when the referee awarded a penalty try for an offence at a five metre scrum. The try was converted.

When Dan Powell drilled a penalty into the Truro 22, the forwards drove forward from the resulting lineout. When the ball was released, Christian Goddard, Tristan Beavis and Joe Briggs made probing runs before Tom Irish drove over from a ruck on the line for an unconverted try.

Truro restored a 14 point margin when the left winger finished off a fine handling move in the Sidmouth 22.

The Chiefs had the better of things for much of the second quarter. Good handling and ball retention in contact deprived Truro of possession and reduced the number of set pieces to neutralise the bigger Truro pack. The speed to the breakdown of Stuart Bickerstaff and Dan Rugg were key to this success.

The Chiefs were eventually rewarded with a splendid solo try from Tom Seward, playing in the unfamiliar position of flanker. When the Chiefs won possession at a Truro lineout in their own half, he burst through the midfield to touch down under the posts. Cameron Grainger added the conversion.

In injury time, a misdirected clearance kick gave the Truro right winger the opportunity to run back into the Sidmouth 22. Following a series of rucks near the line, a forward drove over to give his side a bonus point fourth try and make the halftime score 12-24.

Straight from the restart, the Chiefs produced a fine handling move to stretch the defence, but, when the ball went loose in the Truro 22, the home side launched a counterattack, which was finished off by the number 13.

They added two more tries in quick succession to ensure a win. The right winger finished off a slick handing move from a lineout and a powerful run by the left winger set up the number 6 for the touchdown. Both scores were converted by the fly half.

The Chiefs produced a spirited response in the middle of the half. Tom Seward scored a second try when he burst over from close range following a quick tap penalty near the line. Then Dan Colson secured a bonus point, when he finished off a superb move in which Tom Seward, Tristan Beavis and Dan Powell had made inroads into the defence. Powell appeared a second time to provide the scoring pass. Cameron Grainger kicked both conversions.

Unfortunately, Colson dislocated his elbow in the act of scoring. Injuries to other players disrupted the side further and Truro ran in two late tries, both scored by the scrum half.

The Dukes man-of-the-match was Tom Seward.

Tom S