Chiefs lose 13 try thriller against Camborne

SIDMOUTH 1st XV  38pts  v  CAMBORNE 1st XV  48pts


Spectators at this match, played in perfect conditions, were treated to a 13 try exhibition, which will have the coaches dusting off their defence manuals.


Sidmouth showed a lot of skill and enterprise with the ball in hand, but once again were living off scraps as they were outplayed in the set pieces, directly from which Camborne scored four of their seven tries. They also had to play 20 minutes of the second half with 14 men as their discipline let them down.


The Chiefs high penalty count began early and Camborne took the lead after five minutes when the fly half bisected the uprights. Another penalty, kicked to the corner for a lineout this time, had them defending an attempted catch-and-drive, but Dwight Pansegrouw stole the ball to clear the danger.


Another turnover on halfway set Jack Pyne up for a run down the right. He broke through a tackle and timed his pass perfectly to send Dan Colson in for a try converted by Dan Retter.


Camborne regained the lead when they won a scrum against the head and their full back joined the attack to score a try converted by the fly half. But the Chiefs hit back almost immediately after James Powell had turned the defence with a well-judged kick. The ball was won at the resulting ruck and quick handling found Dwight Pansegrouw on the overlap to score in the right corner.


The visitors were ahead again, when the forwards drove over from a lineout maul. But the lead was short-lived as a storming kick-return run by Tom Seward set up Jack Pyne for a try converted by Dan Retter.


A penalty in first half injury time cut the Chiefs half time lead to 19-18.


Two minutes after the restart Dan Retter took a quick tap penalty just inside the Camborne half and launched a diagonal kick to the left. The ball bounced perfectly for James Powell to take in his stride, leaving the defenders stranded. Retter converted from wide out.


A few minutes later Dwight Pansegrouw was sent to the sin bin as the referee lost patience with the rising penalty count. Camborne took advantage of the extra man to score a pushover try touched down by the number eight. Then a penalty levelled the scores.


The Chiefs were soon back in front following a carbon copy try as Dan Retter kicked a penalty diagonally for James Powell to chase. This time the full back caught the ball on the full and showed the defence a clean pair of heels. Again Retter converted.


Camborne took control through the middle of the half. With the Chiefs again reduced to 14 men, they scored four unanswered tries. The hooker finished off two lineout catch-and-drive plays, while the left winger won a chase for his own kick ahead and was in support to finish off a break by the scrum half.


There was just enough time left for James Powell to complete his hat trick, and a man-of-the-match performance after debutant Rory O’Brien had snapped up a loose ball to start the move off.


Despite the try bonus point, Sidmouth find themselves in last place as Coney Hill notched up their first win of the season.