Chiefs narrow defeat against Camborne

SIDMOUTH 1st XV 22 v CAMBORNE 1st XV 23 

Camborne’s better patience and control in attack gave them the edge in this close-fought encounter. The Chiefs had a good share of possession and territory, but too often kicked the ball away or conceded penalties when they had their opponents under pressure.

The Chiefs made a flying start with a try in the opening minute. At the first lineout Sam Cummins latched onto a wayward Camborne throw and set the backs running. Accurate passing put Chris Higgs in space on the left and Jason Luff was in support to finish the move off. The conversion attempt was unsuccessful.

Sidmouth continued to dominate the early play but could not add to their score. On the quarter hour the Camborne fly half opened his side’s account with the first of six penalties.

The Chiefs responded almost immediately when Jack Pyne found space on the blindside of a ruck inside his own half. He burst up field before timing his pass perfectly to send Chris Higgs in at the corner. Again the try was unconverted.

The visitors had the better of the second quarter as their pack gained the upper hand. The fly half closed the gap with two more penalties. They eventually took the lead just before halftime when the outside centre forced his way over from close range after a long period of pressure. The halftime score was 10-14.

The fly half kicked his side further ahead with a penalty soon after the restart. Then Jason Luff reignited his side when he followed up his own kick to re-gather and burst clear. He was eventually brought down a metre short of the line. A Camborne player prevented quick release of the ball, and a likely try. He was yellow carded for the offence. Tom Whelan kicked the resulting penalty, but the Chiefs failed to take any further advantage of the extra man. They came close when Sam Meadham broke down the right to set up a narrow overlap for Glenn Channing, but he was bundled into touch-in-goal before he could ground the ball. However, the Chiefs maintained the attacking position and were eventually rewarded with a Tom Whelan penalty.

The Camborne fly half restored a four point advantage briefly before Whelan put his side ahead with a drop goal and a penalty in quick succession. The lead was short-lived as the visiting number ten converted his sixth penalty to give his side a one point advantage they would hang on to until the final whistle.