TRURO 1st XV 10  v  SIDMOUTH 1st XV  28


The Chiefs chalked up a third win in Cornwall to continue their rise up the league table. After a shaky start, they dominated much of the game in difficult conditions.


Overnight rain, a cold cross wind and frequent showers made life difficult for both teams, who did well to overcame the conditions and produce an entertaining game.


Truro made an excellent start after regaining possession from the kick off. They maintained possession through several phases. The Sidmouth defence proved resilient until the fifth minute, when Truro moved the ball quickly to an overlap on the left for the winger to sprint in at the corner for an unconverted try.


The Chiefs were soon on the attack at the other end, but a long period of pressure went unrewarded with Dan Retter uncharacteristically missing two kicks at goal. However, the fly half’s quick thinking eventually led to the Chiefs opening score. He took a quick tap penalty on the halfway line and the ball was quickly moved along the backline to Ethan Mead in space. He outpaced the cover and cut inside to touch down under the posts. Dan Retter added the conversion.


The Chiefs continued to dominate territory and eventually, after a long period of pressure, Dan Retter dummied his way over following a ruck near the line. He converted his own try to make the halftime score 14-5.


Truro started the second half strongly and were soon pressing on the Sidmouth line. This time the defence held firm and, when the ball was knocked on, they started a counterattack, which took play from their own line into the Truro half.


The Sidmouth forwards had the Truro eight under pressure at two consecutive scrums inside the 22.  From the second, a move to the left was finished off by Sione Livai with a powerful drive over the line. Dan Retter converted.


Although the Chiefs continued to enjoy territorial advantage, they rarely looked like scoring a bonus point third try until two minutes from the end of normal time. Cameron Grainger, playing at flanker, made the initial break into the Truro 22 and the forwards were in quick support to carry the ball on through several phases until Sione Livai drove over for his second try, which was converted by Dan Retter.


Truro went on the attack straight from the restart kick and, deep into injury time scored a second try, when the outside centre cut through a gap to gallop over. The try was unconverted.