A heavy hail storm just before kick off, leaving the surface of the pitch wet, may explain the scrappy and disjointed first quarter of this game. Both sides struggled for continuity and were guilty of unforced handling errors.


Sidmouth looked the more dangerous as individuals made promising breaks through the first line of defence and were twice within one pass of breaking clear, but either the ball did not go to hand or was lost in contact.


In the 20th minute, Torquay eventually put together a number of phases to create an overlap on the right but the winger was tackled into touch by James Powell just short of the line. The Chiefs failed to secure the ball at the lineout and, from the resulting scrum, Torquay scored a pushover try touched down by the number 8. The conversion attempt was unsuccessful.


The Chiefs responded with a good move initiated with a break by Will Siddle but, again, a handling error brought it to an end. A more promising move was brought to a halt by the refereeā€™s whistle. Good interpassing sent Ollie May bursting into the Torquay 22 with support, but the official had spotted two players fighting and decided to stop the game.


Torquay increased their lead, when they kicked a penalty to the corner and executed a successful catch-and-drive play. The try was unconverted.


In the final minute of the half, Zac Bess made the score 3-10 with a well-struck penalty after a quick tap penalty break by Paul Richardson had created the attacking position.


The Chiefs hopes were briefly raised in the opening minutes of the second half, when James Powell latched on to a loose pass and kicked long downfield. The home full back just won the foot race to tidy up for his side to clear the danger. A few minutes later, some good phase play stretched the defence to force a penalty, which was converted by Zac Bess.


Fifteen minutes into the half, the Chiefs took the lead with a fine try. Zac Bess made a break following a lineout on the Torquay ten metre line before setting up a ruck. The ball was quickly recycled and switched to the blindside. Tom Irish burst through a gap and into the 22, where he found Neil Barratt in support. The hooker offloaded for Aaron Bagwell finish the move off. Zac Bess added the conversion.


James Powell brought off another try-saving tackle on his opposing centre after the Torquay right winger had opened up the defence with a run out of defence. Despite his heroics, the lead was short-lived. Torquay kicked another penalty to the corner and mauled their way over from the resulting lineout. The try was converted by the inside centre.


Tom Seward made a clean break through the centre but could not find support as the cover defence closed in. Instead, Torquay increased their lead with a third try from a lineout initiated driving maul. The conversion opened up an 11 point gap.


With five minutes to go, George Locke broke through the centre, but again support was lacking. However, the attacking position was maintained and Dan Rugg burst over the gain line to set up a ruck. The ball was recycled and transferred to the backs. A long pass by Sam Cavin found James Powell in space to cut through and score wide out. The try was unconverted.


The Chiefs were back on the attack, when the final whistle sounded. They had to be content with a losing bonus point, which keeps them four points above Penryn and the relegation zone.