Chiefs retain David Turner Cup

SIDMOUTH 1st XV  32  v  HONITON 1st XV  10


The Chiefs retained the David Turner Memorial Cup in a hard-fought local derby at the Blackmore Field.


The Lacemen gave a good account of themselves against a team playing a league higher and created plenty of pressure in the Sidmouth 22. However, the home defence only cracked once and, when they got the ball into the open, the Chiefs finishing was clinical.


Hontion started the game strongly, benefitting from Sidmouth indiscipline, which conceded three penalties in quick succession. The pressure was eventually rewarded with a penalty kicked by Ben Webber.


The Chiefs struck back immediately when they regained possession from the restart kick. Good handling stretched the defence and Jevon Astley-Jones timed his run into the line well to take an inside pass from James Powell to sprint over for a try converted by Dan Retter.


Retter increased the lead with a penalty before play became bogged down in midfield until the closing minutes of the half, when the Chiefs added two tries in quick succession. Tom Seward finished off some good interpassing with James Powell providing the assist with a neat offload. Retter added the conversion.


In injury time, Tom Seward broke from his own 22 before sending James Powell on a long run until he was stopped on the opposing 22. The ball was quickly recycled and Dan Retter’s cross kick found Jack Pyne on the right. He made ground before putting Charlie Cotton in at the corner. The try was unconverted leaving the half time score at 22-3.


Honiton cut the arrears within two minutes of the restart. They kicked a penalty to the corner to set up a successful lineout catch-and-drive play. Jason Hannay put the finishing touch and Ben Webber added the conversion.


With Honiton in the ascendency, Hannay crossed the line again only for the referee to rule that he had made a double movement. The Chiefs were able to clear their line from the resulting penalty.


When the Chiefs won a lineout on halfway, Christian Edbrooke peeled away to drive into the Honiton 22, where the ball was quickly recycled and moved along the backline.  James Powell broke through the centre and beat two defenders on his way to the line for an unconverted try.


Once again play became untidy as both teams were guilty of a number of unforced errors. The pattern was eventually broken with ten minutes to go, when the Chiefs produced a superb interpassing move up the left. It was eventually halted when Tristan Beavis was tackled into touch a few metres short of the line.


Sidmouth finished the second half as they had the first with a Charlie Cotton try in injury time. The move was initiated when Steve Trim took a quick tap penalty and sprinted to the Honiton 22. The ball was then moved along the backline for Cotton to sprint in from 30 metres out.